Pages

Wednesday 12 August 2015

Let's go Saint Patrick's!

WALT: understand and use descriptive language.
Success criteria: I know I can do this when I use appropriate adverbs, verbs and adjectives in my writing.  
On the 5th of August, the year 5 and 6 team of Saint Patrick's school had their second basketball game at the Tamaki recreation center Glen Innes. We traveled there by car and I was excited about playing basketball.

Image result for basketballWhen we arrived at the gym we got changed. I was with Natalia and Rhonda. Then we went onto the courts to warm-up and practice some skills with Shaun and Nicola. First we had some balls and we had to run across to the wall and back to where we were while bouncing the ball with our right hand. When Shaun blows the whistle then we have to switch the ball to our left hand. We also had to steal the ball from other people. We had to dodge the court. Next we had a warm-up where we only had one ball and Panmure bridge had to try to defend the ball by throwing to their team-mate while Saint Patrick's School defended. After that, it was time for the game to begin.

The year 7 and 8 game started, we all cheered for them.  I was so excited because I had a feeling that we were going to win. The year 7 and 8's played really well. They did better than the last game that they played. While we were watching the basketball game, Dhon, Rhonda and I were learning some Italian words. We learnt how to say good morning, goodbye and stop. It was very simple. Arrivederci as goodbye and ciao if you are close to the person. Busta is stop and Bonjourno is good-morning. The year 7 and 8's were winning but the game wasn't finished so we didn't know who was going to win.

After a while it was our turn to play on the court and we played against Glen Taylor. I was really eager to play because I was ready and warmed up because of the warm ups that we had. I felt happy and confident when the game started. I was hoping that would win and if not, that would be okay as well because we would play better than out last game. The siren rang and our game began. We were running right and left, back and forward. Dhon scored our first goal. We were leading at half time. I was playing well and so were the others. When we were tired I substituted and swapped with Rhonda. While I was resting I watched how the others were playing so I could learn from what they were doing, especially the way they have stealing the ball. I was incredibly impressed. I was about to go back on the court when I suddenly had butterflies in my stomach because of the way people were shouting at me! Some people were shouting at me like they were trying to say, "Pay attention and pull your socks up!" We won in the end.

We all huddled and said three cheers for Glen Taylor. "Hurry, Hurry" Next we went to shake Glen Taylor's hand and say good game to show the good act of Sportsmanship. Then we all went home feeling exhausted and excited for the next game. I drank lots of water and ate dinner.

I had so much fun at basketball and I hope next time we win our game again. I want to train as much as possible so we have a big chance of winning the next game.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.