Pages

Friday 19 August 2016

The word 'passenger' is an adjective that is used to classify someone!

Classifying adjectives are adjectives that are used to classify. They tell us 'what type'. Classifying adjectives place people and things into classes and groups. They are non- gradable. In this sentence, the classifying adjective, "passenger", describes the type of train. This is a sentence with a classified adjective in it: We boarded the passenger train.


More examples are:


Our family has Irish stew every Friday.
Do you live in the northern hemisphere?
I can play a musical instrument
I have a white mouse.
We watched the royal wedding.
Sara selected the female kitten at the pet store.
Jack took a brown waffle from the breakfast shop.
On Saturdays we go to a french buffet.


In the sentence, 'I saw a brown dog', 'brown' is the classified adjective because it is describing what the colour of the dog.

Learning Intention: We are learning to understand the English grammar.
Success Criteria: I know I can do this when I explain that an adjective used to classify tells us what type something is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.